




Last Sunday mom decided we had too much candy so we fooled around with it a little bit.
The first thing we did was melt a hershey bar and we kept putting it in our micro wave and taking it out because it wouldn't melt! I finally touched it with my finger and it felt melted so we put it in the fridge planning to melt it later. Next we grabbed a Laffy Taffy and a Starburst and put in for about one minute and it had spread all across the plate. When it got back into the cool kitchen air it hardened right back up and we needed a pick-ax to get it off.
After the melting session we put some more candy into into bowls with water in it for an acid test. We had about fifteen bowls with candy in them and in most of them the water was turning the color of the candy inside them. The way we knew there was acid in it was if we put baking soda in them it would fizz up.
Now comes the cool part. We put M&M'S and Skittles in a container with water in it and after five minutes the water had an amazing design in it. The bright colors were all collaged together and we stood there in awe looking at it. The letters on the candy pulled off the chocolate and rose to the surface and we tried to catch the sight of it coming off. It was amazing.
The next morning I wanted to melt the chocolate bar so I stuck it in the microwave for two minutes and when I took it back out it had a huge burnt spot on it, but I threw it away even though it looked cool.
Pretty much of what I'm saying is that you can learn a great deal of scientific information by experimenting with scientific calculations. Yeah, right! We basically used the thing that tempts us the most and tortured it. It's fun, try it sometime.
Zack
The candy in the water looked like a rainbow.The M&M's looked like it had shapes.The Skittles had swirls in it.I melted a Laffey Taffey and when it melted it was yellow.
Todd,Jr.
This is Grandma...I was wondering if anyone in this group of scientists did a taste test on any of the candy specimens prior to starting the experiment? I would think that would have been a necessary part of the experiment and if you ever do another one involving candy I would like to volunteer to be the "taste tester" but only before you did your testing.
ReplyDeleteI love the fact that you are all interested in experimenting...that's a good thing to do.